Hey loves! How has you week been? I had asked you guys to share your recipe requests on Instagram and the most requested recipe was for the homemade flavored popcorn. I genuinely love flavored popcorn, mainly because I am a sweet tooth through and through. All I really want to do in this bipolar weather is to curl up under a throw, sip some wine and munch on flavored popcorn as I catch up on my favorite series, The Catch (pun intended). But then, real life responsibilities call!Sigh! Anyway, do try out the recipe and feel free to send me pictures on Instagram or Snapchat. You can also send through your questions in case you get stuck.
For the Popcorn;
Salt to Taste
For the Syrup;
1 tbsp Margarine
2 tbsps Sugar
2 tbsps Milk/ 1 tbsp Water
1 tbsp Drinking Chocolate
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
Dash of Red Food Color (Raspberry or Strawberry Red)
Pinch of Salt
- Heat cooking oil on a pan and once hot, add your seeds and salt to taste. Mix well to ensure that all the seeds are salted evenly.
- Reduce heat and cover to let the seeds pop. Once all the seeds have popped, set aside in a bowl and leave to cool.
- In a different pan, melt margarine over medium-high heat.
- Add sugar and stir over medium-low heat to avoid burning.
- Once sugar crystals have melted, add your milk/water and keep stirring.
Note: Milk provides better results.
- Add your drinking chocolate and stir.
- Pour in your vanilla essence and food color then stir. You should have a syrup-like consistency that is neither runny nor too thick.
The secret to coming up with the best consistency is to keep stirring and to use low heat.
- If you happen to have a runny consistency, add small bits of sugar and keep stirring in order to thicken the syrup.
- If your consistency is too thick, you can add some milk/water in small amounts and stir until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Once syrup is ready, pour over the cooked popcorn and mix to coat evenly.
- Set aside to cool and serve.
P.s: They might not last 15 minutes into the movie, so be sure to make enough! 🙂
I got the bowl from Mr. Price Home at Yaya Centre for about Ksh. 300-400/-. They have amazing kitchenware, thank me later! Have an amazing weekend loves! 🙂